Experience that works for you | 905-466-2954

Disability deduction – Do I need to use one of those claims companies?

A number of clients have asked me over the past year about the ads they are seeing for these tax claim companies who offer help in claiming past disability deductions.  These companies work on a contingency fee basis, taking a percentage of the refund that you are entitled to as their fee.

If you feel that you or a family member might qualify for the disability deduction, the process is very simple and you don’t need a claim company to do it for you.

First, take the disability deduction form T2201 to your doctor to complete.


Then send the completed form to Canada Revenue Agency along with a letter requesting that they process the claim back to whatever date the doctor has certified the disability started.  CRA will review the form, and if it is determined that you qualify will notify you.  You may have to send an additional letter asking them to process it further.

Find your local tax centre address here:   http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/tso-bsf-eng.html

The process is a little more complicated if you are transferring the deduction to a spouse or supporting individual.  I can help you with this process if you need assistance.

Leave a reply